Everyone wants soft, supple, and healthy skin, but unfortunately, this doesn’t happen naturally for everyone. Several factors influence a person’s skin health including genetics, environmental factors, skin care routine, and overall health. One major issue that can prevent your skin from appearing plump and healthy is dry skin.
What is dry skin?
Dry skin, also known as xerosis or xeroderma, is described as a condition that makes the skin look and feels rough, itchy, or flaky. Several factors can contribute to dry skin, including cold or dry weather, sun damage, or harsh soaps. Using a moisturizer can help to improve dry skin and help correct the symptoms.
Why is moisturizer essential for dry skin?
Moisturizer is very important to overall skincare, whether you have oily, combination, or dry skin. However, it is especially essential for people who suffer from dry skin. Moisturizer helps to keep the skin hydrated and improves overall skin health. There are also several other benefits, including:
- Decreasing skin issues - Dry skin can cause an imbalance in your skin, leading to increased redness, more frequent acne, or overactive oil production. Using a moisturizer helps to balance the skin and renew skin health.
- Help fight wrinkles - When your skin gets dry, wrinkles and fine lines become more visible. Moisturizer helps to make your skin look plumper and keeps the wrinkles at bay.
- Help preserve youthful skin - There are some areas of your skin that renew cells more often than others. This can include our neck, ears, chest, and face. Fresh skin is more delicate and hence more susceptible to environmental factors and the sun’s UV rays. Using moisturizer will slow down the skin’s renewal process while still keeping your skin hydrated and healthy.
How to choose a moisturizer for dry skin
When selecting a facial moisturizing cream or lotion for dry skin, there are certain ingredients you should look always for. Dry skin requires hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid to attract water to your skin and natural extracts such as Sea Buckthorn Berry provide hydrating and protective vitamins. A peptide complex not only provides deep hydration but also helps to reduce the visible appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
How to apply moisturizer correctly
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to properly apply moisturizer:
- Use a moisturizing cleanser to thoroughly cleanse your skin. The best way is to wash for at least 60 seconds before rinsing, then patting dry.
- Apply a little more than a pea-sized amount to the palm of your hands, then rub your hands together to warm up the product.
- Apply to the cheeks using gentle circular motions to spread the moisturizer across the face.
- Apply the moisturizer to the forehead, nose, and T-zone before applying it to the chin, ears, and neck.
- Gently work the product upwards from the neck to the chin. Avoid tugging or pulling the face downward.